Updated: Feb 13, 2022
We were gifted some really fresh east coast razor clams from one of our Koa Fam member. We didn't want to alter the sweet delicate clam flavor to much so we went simple... Well kind of simple 😊
2-3lb Cleaned Razor Clams (or any other clam variety of choice)
4 Tbl Koa Roots Garlic & Onion Smoked Brown Butter
1/3 cup Sake
Chopped Green onion
Crispy Fried Onions (can be found at any Asian grocery)
Optional - Smoked Chili Flakes (see note), Salt, Pepper
1. Thoroughly and carefully clean razor clams under cold running water, scrubbing any remaining sand off the shells.
2. Drain cleaned clams in a colander and set aside.
3. Heat a sauté pan over medium heat and melt the smoked brown butter.
4. When the smoked brown butter is melted, place the cleaned and drained clams in the pan.
5. Pour sake over the clams and place lid over the pan. Bring to a boil then reduce to a light simmer.
6. Steam clams in the simmering brown butter and sake mixture until the clams have opened, around 5-8min.
7. Remove opened clams and place in a serving bowl. Discard any clams that haven't opened at this point.
8. Ladle smoked brown butter and sake broth over the cooked clams.
9. Garnish with lemon wedges, crispy fried onions, chopped green onions, and smoked chili flakes (optional) to taste. You can also add some salt and pepper if desired.
10. Serve immediately with French bread to sop up broth.
Note: If you have a smoker at home, you can simply smoke 1/2 cup of chili flakes spread evenly in a heat proof pan for 15-20min. Let cool and store in an airtight container. You can use smoked chili flakes for other dishes.
#seafood #clams #brownbutter #koaroots #PortlandFoodie #eaterpdx #pdx #portland #portlandfood #pdxeats #pdxfoodie #pdxfoodies #portlandfoodie #portlandfoodies #igfood #foodporn #pdxfood #foodstagram #eating #supportsmallbusiness #hawaii #pnw #goodfood #aloha #Hawaii #BIPOC #community #family #friends #SundayDinner #LetsEat